Random Happenings

Random notes and pics about events in the life of a not-your-typical Computer Science grad student. (Yes I am a nerd, but I don't live and breathe the SciFi channel, well maybe Stargate SG-1...)

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Someone else is eating the fruits of my labor

This afternoon, I discovered this sad little excuse for a tomato hanging on my tomato plant. I had been dreaming about summer tomatoes all spring long. Nothing is better than a homegrown, ripe tomato straight off the vine. I had been watching this particular tomato the last few days as it turned from green to yellow to orange to red. Just when it was time for picking, I find that something else already beat me to it! I suspect the squirrels. To show you how much I had been looking forward to fresh veggies this summer, last spring Nathan and I built a small vegetable garden in the backyard.

To start, we first dug a really big hole.We then built a bed frame out of landscape timber.
Next we loaded the bed up with bags upon bags of dirt.Here is the finished product with Audrey standing guard.
Well, I can take solace in one thing --- my herb garden does not seem to be tasty to the tomato thief. So, if I can't enjoy tomatoes, then I guess I'll have to settle for fresh pesto from the garden.

4 Comments:

Blogger Timmie Smith said...

I'd offer you some of the tomatoes from our garden, but they're not particularly good. Nice meat, but not juicy. The squirrels won't touch them.

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to have an herb garden just like that, and I discovered they taste great on salads (esp. Italian flat-leaf parsley and those skinny chives like you have).

8:45 AM  
Blogger Shawna Thomas said...

That's a great idea for the herbs. I use them for cooking a lot. I haven't yet found a lot of uses for the sage --- I'm still looking around for ideas. (I planted it because I thought it looked pretty!)

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Wikipedia: "As an herb, sage is considered to have a slight peppery flavor. In Western cooking, it is used for flavoring fatty meats (especially as a marinade), cheeses, and some drinks. In Britain and Flanders, sage is used with onion for poultry or pork stuffing and also in sauces. In French cuisine, sage is used for cooking white meat and in vegetable soups. Germans often use it in sausage dishes. Sage is also common in Italian cooking. In the Balkans and the Middle East, it is used when roasting mutton."
More recipes...

More recipes...

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home