Random Happenings

Random notes and pics about events in the life of a not-your-typical Computer Science grad student. (Yes I am a nerd, but I don't live and breathe the SciFi channel, well maybe Stargate SG-1...)

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Homage to "cooking for engineers"

A few weeks ago, Sara introduced me to the website Cooking for Engineers. Basically, an engineer out in Silicon Valley wanted to keep track of his recipes and cooking notes so he started a blog to record his kitchen adventures. I've had a lot of fun reading it, so while I was cooking dinner tonight, I thought I would make a few cooking notes of my own.

For dinner, I made "Basil-Steamed Shrimp with Soba Noodles." It was super easy, fast, and really delicious. I got it from a recent issue of Everyday with Rachel Ray. (It's a really fun cooking magazine where most of the recipes are easy and fast.) Of course, I added a few more shrimp than in the recipe.

The first step is cook the soba noodles in a pot of boiling water for about 8 minutes.

The next step is to prepare the bamboo steamer: (1) prepare the aromatics --- place a layer of basil across the bottom of the steamer, sprinkle green onion, ginger, and orange zest on top; (2) place peeled, uncooked shrimp on top of the basil; (3) add the veggies --- I used red bell pepper and shiitake mushrooms.

(oh so pretty!)
Then heat some vegetable broth in a large pot/wok. Once it is simmering, place the steamer on top.
After about 6 minutes, the shrimp are done. Then put the cooked soba noodles in the broth to heat them up.
Top with some extra green onion and you are ready to eat! Yum-O!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And your kitchen looks really cool with the yellow walls, tile backsplash, and fancy knives!

8:08 AM  
Blogger Shawna Thomas said...

Thanks, Sara! It took us about three tries before we got the right shade of yellow. I never knew yellow could be such a hard color to pick.

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home