Random Happenings

Random notes and pics about events in the life of a not-your-typical Computer Science grad student. (Yes I am a nerd, but I don't live and breathe the SciFi channel, well maybe Stargate SG-1...)

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Favorite quote from lecture

Today I attended weekly computer science graduate seminar where different professors (from both A&M and abroad) stand up and talk to a crowd of nerdy graduate students about their work. Today's lecture was from the famous Dr. Bjarne Stroustrup, the inventor of C++ and a professor here in the department. Above is a picture of my notes from the lecture. (Mom, I was paying attention --- the doodling was when we were waiting for the IT guys to setup the projector right, I promise.)

I've heard various forms of the lecture before, so I didn't write much down. I did, however, write down my favorite quote --- Dr. Stroustrup usually throws out a few good ones in an hour talk. It is his response to why not handling macros is a limitation in his work. (Macros are little, ugly, sneaky bits of code that do nothing but puff up the programmer's ego and introduce hair-pulling bugs.) "Because people really love macros. They love macros the way addicts love their drugs." He got a pretty good laugh from the audience for that one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home